Role of NGOs in reducing hunger in our country

 In our everyday lives, we see many homeless people and children who are struggling to get even a single meal a day. While growing up, whenever I saw people at traffic signals or on the roadside as they asked for food, I started feeling a sense of responsibility to do something about this issue. As I grew older and started looking for potential solutions, I realized that there are many NGOs in India that are working to put an end to hunger and malnourishment in the country.



Once I graduated high school, I started volunteering over the weekends at one of the top food NGOs in India whose primary aim is to eradicate malnutrition and hunger amongst children. At present, we are working to provide food to young students under the mid-day meal scheme. While preparing the food, the kitchen staff at the NGO ensures that students get enough nutrition by adding eggs, milk, and vegetables to the wholesome meals. We also distribute special food on the day of occasions or festivals. During the pandemic, we even started a community kitchen and distributed packed meals to those in need. Volunteering at this NGO is a relief for me from my daily stressful life and I enjoy spending time with the children whenever I get the time.

Many food NGOs in our country collect leftover food from homes daily, along with large quantities of food from parties, weddings, or other events, and distribute it amongst the poor. This food is usually distributed amongst people living in shelter homes or slum areas.

I think these initiatives taken along with the government schemes for malnourishment can really help our country win the battle against hunger. From my experience, while working on the ground, I think that the NGOs are doing a good job to address the problem at the grass-root level.

Individuals or groups can take part in the fight against hunger by volunteering their time or by donating money to NGOs which can be utilized in their various projects aimed to reduce hunger and malnourishment within our nation.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How can we tackle malnutrition in India?

How do food NGOs help to implement the mid-day meal scheme?